Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Levels of Communication

On a somewhat related note, it occurred to me yesterday that I have to improve my communication skills. Communication is the key to relationships of all kinds. I broke personal audible communication into 3 steps:

1. “Hearing”- The brain simply receiving what the other person is saying.

2. “Listening” – The brain storing, and thus remembering, what was said.

3. “Understanding” – Really considering what the other person is saying, not just dismissing it and going by what you already know. Trying to relate to their situation, “putting yourself in their shoes.” If you are really understanding what the other person is saying, then you should be able to respond intelligently, and hopefully not totally piss the other person off.

I’m not deaf (yet), but I do have a horrible short term memory. So I’m working on #2 and #3. #3 is the most important. I think it’s helping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home