Saturday, January 29, 2005

Epic novel series

When it comes to Modern fantasy series, I've read quite a few of them:
-Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
-Sword of Truth series by Goodkind
-RiftWar Saga by Feist
-The Belegariad by David Eddings
-Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams (his Otherland series scifi/fantasy/triller looks interesting too, and the quadrillogy is finished now, a big plus)
- The Thomas Covenant Saga (by Stephen Donaldson)


and some sci-fi / fantasy mix:
-Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny

I'm not very interested in the stereotypical fantasy with typical good /evil characters and cliched stories anymore -- I've read enough of them (ie Feist's, Eddings) or neverending series where each book is as long as the bible (Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth.)

I've told myself I'll never read another series that isn't yet completed -- reading a few 800 page novels, and then having to go back a few years later to re-read them for the next book can be quite challenging. The problem is you stop caring about the characters if you don't re-read the previous series. And what's the point of reading the next book if you don't care about the characters? Not much. That's Why I stopped reading Wheel of Time even though I really liked the series (of course, until Robert Jordan decided that a 800 page novel can contain no plot, no character development, and only pointless babble.)

Anyway, my favourite modern fantasy is by far:

The Song of Ice and Fire, by George RR Martin.

The 4th book is coming out this April, and the series will be 6 (and that's all) in length. Each book is like 800-1000 pages long, but it is a non-formulaic series with intrigue, grit, tons of interesting, non-cliched characters and this guy isn't afraid to kill them off! I like how each chapter is told from a different character's perspective, and the magic is subtle (for some reason, magic that is subtle always seems to work better in a movie/novel than overblown stuff.)

Still, re-reading 3 800 page novels is quite an adventure. Luckily there's a fan of the series making very indepth chapter by chapter summaries :)

2 Comments:

At 10:21 a.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

I read the Otherland series. Overall it was a decent read, but I was put off by the ending, and some of his methods of plot resolution seemed... inadequate, like too little was explained in some parts.

Oh yeah, good idea to wait until it was all out; they are all sizeable tomes.

 
At 10:34 a.m., Blogger Medieval said...

You ever read any of Zelazny's works? I think you'd like them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home