Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Wii impressions (even though I don't own it yet..)

I'ma bit disappointed by the launch lineup, but it's pretty good compared to other launch lineups (N64 had Mario 64 only, Gamecube's sucked, PS3 and XBOX360's were non-existant.)

On that note, I hope Sony's PS3 is beat out by both XBOX360 and Wii (which probably won't happen, as Sony still has momentum going for them.) Every single retailer I went to over the past few days posted messages on how Sony promised them PS3's, but they received none. A lot of pissed off customers.

The only feasible reason I could see for wanting a PS3 ($700 Cnd) right now is if you:
- want a Blue Ray player (as they cost >$1000 now anyway)
- Really need to play a few mediocre release titles in high definition.

That's the same reason I'm in no rush to get a HDTV yet, there's not really a lot of HD content yet. What, a handful of overpriced movies in HD, and a few channels? No thanks. Though my Grandpa just got a HD set, I'm a bit behind.

Anyway, back to Wii:

To me, at least, there's only 1 game worth getting so far (besides playing Wii Sports!, see below videos from Youtube), Zelda. Some other games definately look worth a rent though (Excite Truck, Red Steel.) It seems Red Steel had some great ideas, but wasn't implemented as good as it could have been. Perhaps we'll see some awesome FPS's on Wii (certainly, Metroid Prime 3.)

Although, from reviews I've read, a lot of people feel the Zelda controls are just "tacked" on (which I suppose is true from a development standpoint.) I would have liked to see actual sword strokes converted from Wii controller --> game accurately, instead of the more "digital" conservative control Nintendo went with.

My point is, there's not much reason to play Zelda on Wii over Zelda on Gamecube (which I already own).

However, I still can't wait to try out the Wii next week at my local EB (requires a driver's license, guess they don't want you running off with a Wii Controller!).

I'm really excited about Wii? Why?

Look at the below videos.. this is the "natural" way to play video games. Small kids get it very easily. I remember playing NES and wanting to move the controller around to get my character to move.


6 Comments:

At 12:06 a.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

I spent half of Sunday playing WiiSports. Trust me its real fun :)

 
At 10:38 a.m., Blogger Medieval said...

Bastard.

You're going to have to let me come over and give it a try.

GOD DAMN THIS WORD verification. Half the time I mess up because I can't distinguish what the damn letters are.

 
At 8:13 p.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

Let you come over? I don't have one :P

I was at someone else's place playing it.

Though my will-be-housemate-in-3-days bought one, so yes, I WILL have one. But I have a feeling you're looking to buy yours this weekend, n'est pas?

 
At 8:26 p.m., Blogger Medieval said...

Really, John, I shouldn't.

Buying stuff like that around XMAS time is bad karma, so to speak, as I'm spending money on myself instead of buying gifts for other people. But hey, why not? ;)

Plus it'd be going on the good ol' CC. I'll just rack it up to student debt ;)

Well, I'm going there tomorrow to test it out, I thin(ahhh, this doesn't sound good for the pocketbook).

Nintendo's smart though: I wouldn't be buying one now if Zelda wasn't on it at launch. As fun as Wii Sports is, it isn't exactly a deep epic ;)

Even though I'm still disappointed about the Zelda sword controls, I'll have to wait and see. Perhaps in this case, simple is better.

Hey, if you read this, are you moving in with your G/F and 2 other people, or just 3 other people? I can't remember if James told me or not.

 
At 6:47 p.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

3 other people. Jen thinks the best idea for herself is to stay home and build up a nest egg so she has a huge head start towards owning her own place.

Basically, what Jay did.

 
At 7:47 p.m., Blogger Medieval said...

That was my idea too. Would have worked had I not stayed in school so long; had to get out of my parents place for sanity's sake.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home