Monday, October 30, 2006

Home theater, teaching, some rants

Home theater
==========
Took me a while to decide on what home theater speaker system to get. As I'm only in a small apartment, I didn't need to spend too much money, as a little "oomf" is plenty.

Anyway, I decided on getting the RCA 2390 from XSCargo (great store, only problem/good thing is their stock is like entirely different every week.) It's a receiver (amplifer) and speaker set only, no included DVD player. Which is good for me, since the included DVD players in HTiB (home theater in a box) suck, and you don't get any extra inputs/outputs.

Hooked it up last night, sounds great. "Tested" movies included "Dazed and Confused", and a I tested the digital 5.1 surround sound with "Pirates 2".

It's funny how they want you to buy a "digital coaxial cable" for a heavily marked up price for the digital audio in/out connection. They can't fool me though.. the god damn cable isn't digital. Therefore, regular RCA/composite cable I had worked just fine :)


Part 2
=====

Anyway, over the past few weeks I've been trying to sort out some administrative issues in my application for teacher's college next September. I'm leaving teaching open as an option - it's definately got it's +'s and -'s, like any other career I suppose.

Anyway, I had to make sure my credits would be applicable to teach math/physics (the problem being that few of my courses are actually "physics" courses for purposes of transfer.)

So, I went to the education dept, who told me to go to Registrar's. Registrar's tell me Mechanical Engineering are setup for transfer credits, but not EE. So I give a copy of my transcript, highlight the physics type courses, and the next day I get a message "no deal, you need to get support from the Dean".

BAH.

SO I try the same procedure with another individual in Registrar's, and the next day, I get an email "You are a-okay."

My conclusion is that some people in Registrar's don't know what they are doing.

1 Comments:

At 7:15 p.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

The fancy-ass cables probably have gold coated contacts and better shielding for a 'cleaner' transmission.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home