Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Rock and Roll albums - a new experience, for me, atleast

-----------------
With the advent of widespread broadband connections and the massively popular bittorrent file sharing system, file sharers could share larger and larger files, like movies, and larger collections (like albums.)

Wow, I still remember my first time on the internet: back long before there was widespread and inexpensive dialup, at a computer lab my cousin supervised at the University. Pages would load up at an extremely slow pace, perhaps both due to slow computers and limited connection (probably a t1 equivalent line split too many ways.) I got to check out live E3 pics on the web for the new "Nintendo 64" system with one of the first 3d platform games, "Mario 64".

Well, I thought of this today after having my computer extract 25 700 mb files at the same time. The computer was as long as mentioned above ;)

-----------------


Previously, I had listened to music in almost exlusively 2 formats: radio and downloading mp3's (mostly off of what I liked from different bands on the radio).

I think I kinda got the album listening bug after Rice Lake '06: Floyd, Beatles, OLP, etc albums.

Well, I've been listening to some CD's lately, mostly of Aerosmith, the Stones, and the Beatles. Some songs, although not a 10/10 allstar song to stand on it's own, fit the album nicely. There's a whole different dynamic to the songs when they are are played in a particular order in a particular collection.

Oh, and if James, you happen to read this, could you recommend a few of the best OLP albums to start with?

10 Comments:

At 5:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it Matt, how am I supposed to get these labs marked when you ask a question like that? :)

My recommendations for OLP albums would greatly depend on your preference in their music. Preferring their older/harder sound myself I'd rank them like this (with the songs/singles you'd know in brackets):

1. Happiness...Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch (Thief, One Man Army, Is Anybody Home?)

2. Naveed (Naveed, Starseed)

3. Clumsy (Clumsy, 4am, Superman's Dead, Automatic Flowers)

4. Spiritual Machines (Life, In Repair)

5. Healthy In Paranoid Times (Angels/Losing/Sleep, Where Are You?, Will The Future Blame Us?)

6. Gravity (Innocent, Somewhere Out There)

Note that Naveed beats Clumsy only because of the sheer brilliance of "The Birdman". You really can't go wrong with any of them though, just use the singles as a guideline.

 
At 6:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost forgot, check out their new single "Kiss On The Mouth", it's off their greatest hits album that's coming out in November. The song kicks major ass. If you go to their MySpace page there is a concert video of it on the left about half way down.

*End OLP pseudo-advertisement*

 
At 6:32 p.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

Here's a link to one of my primary Pandora stations:

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh34462894895599661

I'm constantly refining this station, giving the thumbs down to shit that pops up. It should at least be good to maybe find some good groups you've never really paid attention to.

 
At 10:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that's not the kind of music I expected :)

I knew you liked hard stuff (*snicker*) but I didn't expect quite the metal influence. Still, it's not too bad.

Just to be conformist about it, I'll share my main station:

Better Than Jonathan's Radio Station :)

Do be warned though, you'll occasionally get some really random music, probably because I've got such a wierd variety of bands added to it...I think it blows up when it sees Great Big Sea and Incubus on the same station :)

Enjoy!

 
At 12:29 p.m., Blogger Medieval said...

Yeah, I checked out about 10-20 songs on John's list. A little too much hard stuff for my liking (not that I don't like hard rock, I just like a bit more variety.)

Think that's why I like bands like Foo Fighters, Stones, OLP, etc, they have soft and hard rock songs.

If I ever get a decent Pandora setup I'll post it :)

 
At 10:14 p.m., Blogger Zutroy said...

Well I try to keep the genres separated. I had another station where I just threw in a bunch of stuff I liked from anything, but it was only a disaster. This is the station I tried to set up for mainly heavy/power metal. Sometimes it gives me lighter stuff like Weezer, which is ok I'll let it pass, and othertimes it goes wayyy left field and plays this real horrible death metal that's mostly grunting. That shit I can't stand. It's hard because I like the music, but generally hate the lyrics. And most of the metal music I like has REALLY bad lyrics.

 
At 4:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wondered what it would do if you gave it just completely random suggestions.

Me: I want a station based on Celine Dion

Pandora: Okay...done

Me: Add some 50 Cent to that

Pandora: Umm...okay....done

Me: Oooh, and some Slayer...you gotta love Slayer

Pandora: Yeah, okay...done

Me: Oh, I almost forgot, add John Coltrane to that...and some Beethoven...and Stomp too!

Pandora: *BOOM*

Yes, I'm bored, what's it to you?

 
At 5:34 p.m., Blogger Medieval said...

What research not keeping your brain stimulated? ;)

 
At 5:42 p.m., Blogger Medieval said...

You know, I can recognize that on a technical basis, Celine has a good voice.

However, anytime I hear her music/voice, I want to stab myself in the ears or jump off a cliff.

 
At 10:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I was sitting there running a lab with one student left in it who hadn't gone home, and I was just trying to keep myself entertained.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home